Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Apple TV "The greatest device nobody knows about"

My wife bought me an Apple TV for Christmas this year. I have to say that this device is amazing! This is our first venture into the Apple Universe. Just opening the Apple TV was an experiance. The packaging is beautiful and simple. When you open the box you are presented with a small glossy white box with the familiar Apple Logo on top. The device is about the size of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The Apple TV has two cables, an HDMI cable and a Power Cable. We had it up and running in less than five minutes. You wouldn't expect much out of such a small package but you would be wrong. The Apple TV connects to your wireless network. After some on screen prompts to put your network password in you are connected. You the recieve a 5-Digit code on screen. When you open iTunes on your computer the Apple TV appears in the Devices List. You click on the Apple TV icon and enter your code. You are now ready to stream all of your iTunes Library to your big screen. You can play all of your MP3's easily. You can add any folder to the Apple TV for pictures. All your pictures are displayed in HD and put to music. I know you can do this with any PC but the Apple TV requries no user interaction. Just watch the slide show. The on screen interface is flawless you navigate using the remote included with the system. Available at your fingertips is almost any Movie or TV show you can imaging. There are thousands of movies and tv shows from current releases to all time classics. You can either buy them or rent them. YouTube is available on the big screen. You can access any Flickr account to look at pictures. The Apple TV does a wonderful job of bridging the gap between your home pc and the living room. I have spent the last two weeks telling everyone about this amazing little device. I have been stunned to realize that almost no one has even heard of an Apple TV. Microsoft loses millions of dollars a year on the Xbox for the sole purpose of getting a device in the living room. Apple has a device to do just that and they do not even advertise it or promote it. I have heard the Windows Media Center argument and I do agree that a Media Center PC would accomplish most of what the Apple TV does. I would argue that the Apple TV has made the whole process so easy that any one can plug it in and be runnig. I do not believe that would be the case with a Media Center PC. I will leave you now with my final thought. The Apple TV is the greatest piece of multimedia technology that no one knows about.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen an update in a while. Did you put Boxee on your device only to have Apple kill it in a super-secret "update"? Hope to see more soon.

    ReplyDelete